There is current in Kingston Harbour
Not a lot, but it varies across the harbour.
- Generally surface current sets from West to East as Lake Ontario flows into the St. Lawrence River.
- Surface current is increased by recent rainfall and by sustained Westerly breezes.
- Surface current is reduced in sustained Easterly breezes.
Looking at the bottom profile in the diagrams of Kingston Harbour below, it's easy to see that
- The channel is deepest close to the North Shore,
- generally much shallower areas are found close to the South Shore, and
- the South side of Kingston harbour is protected by large shoals to the West.
Therefore, in most prevailing breezes (S, SW, W, NW), current favours the South side of Kingston Harbour (left) when sailing upwind, and current favours the North side of Kingston Harbour when sailing downwind.
Bathymetry with 2m Contours
This is an important
topic for the Kingston , Ontario waterfront. Currently, this article is incomplete, and it would be cool to expand it. If you know anything about Current
, please consider editing the topic
and sharing your knowledge.
( Topic last updated: 2010.06.28 11:00:47 AM )